Unwelcome Microscopic Guests in Your Office and How to Kill Them

Pop Quiz: Which probably has more bacteria on it right now, your desk or your office toilet seat?

Answer: Are you sure you want to know? Okay …

Answer (really): Your desk, by a long shot. You’re about 400 times more likely to pick up bacteria just typing away at your keyboard than you are going to the bathroom.

Didn’t see that one coming, did you?

WARNING: DON’T READ THIS IF YOU’RE EATING

ABC News once did a story about a worker in a Manhattan publishing company who subjected her office to examination by microbiologist Dr. Chuck Gerba. He discovered there was about 100 times more bacteria on her mouse than a toilet seat (kind of the universal ew standard).

And guess what was among the bacteria he found? (We’re going to ask again, are you sure you want to read … okay, here goes.)

Coliform, a.k.a. intestinal bacteria, a.k.a. microbes commonly found in human waste.

Yeah. On her mouse.

AND THEN THERE’S ALL THE OTHER SURFACES …

There tends to be an awful lot of bacteria that can cause skin infections, pneumonia, blood poisoning and various other infections around the office. Some of these nasty germs are strong enough to resist antibiotics.

Where else do these little buggers hang out? Just think about everything you touch all the time:

  • Copier start button
  • Doorknob
  • Water dispenser handle
  • Coffee pot handle
  • … any many more!

We’re addicted to touching things, around 30 items per minute while at work. Once every two seconds we’re passing germs around. Whoa.

SO WHAT DO YOU DO ABOUT IT?

Obviously, daily cleaning with bleach or other antibacterial products is essential to keeping colonies of bacteria under control. The trouble is, there will always be surfaces we touch a lot and don’t think about it. There are also adjacent surfaces where bacteria can hide that we don’t often get to.

To do the best job preventing illness from these unwelcome guests we suggest periodic use of Pheno D disinfectant fogger. Here’s what you need to know:

  1. One 6-oz bottle can treat up to 625 square feet (a 25 x 25 open space).
  2. It reaches hard-to-reach surfaces adjacent to the ones you touch all the time (think the sides of keyboard keys).
  3. There’s good bacteria in your body you don’t want to kill. Set it off, leave and don’t come back to the treated area for two to four hours.

Questions about the use of this product? Don’t hesitate to ask.

Now go wash your hands. We know you want to.

Previous Post
April Showers, a Floor Mat … and Your Car in a Ditch
Next Post
The Life-Threatening Problem of Poor Cleaning Procedures in Hospitals
Menu